[opencms-dev] Tradition Chinese (Big5) and English (UTF-8)

Albiach, Enric (MAD-MRM) enric.albiach at mrmww.es
Thu Oct 20 18:25:29 CEST 2011

Hello,

I have to develop a webpage on English (UTF-8) and Traditional Chinese (Big5). So, I will create on OpenCms 2 folders:

*         "en"  for the English site with the following properties:

o   locale = en

o   content-encoding = utf-8

*         "zh"  for Traditional Chinese site with the following properties:

o   locale = zh

o   content-encoding = big5

The content will be the same on both sites. So, I will create sibling files of the type "Page with free text" on both folders.

What happens if I follow these steps?:

1.       I create a "Page with free text" named "faq.html" on "/en" folder.

2.       I create a sibling of that file on "/zh" folder with the same name "faq.html".

3.       I go to "/zh" folder and I edit the file "faq.html" (the Chinese language will be automatically selected on the Language dropdown list of the HTML editor) and save it. The file is stored in Big5 encoding.

4.       I go to "/en" folder and I edit the file "faq.html" (the English language will be automatically selected on the Language dropdown list of the HTML editor) and save it. The file is stored is stored in Utf-8 encoding.

Three questions:

*         After the step 4, will I lose the Big5 encoding of the Chinese section of the underlying XML file (created on the step 3)? Am I right?

*         What is the best way to approach this development? Maybe, create separated files instead of siblings.

*         Does anyone know if Traditional Chinese can be stored using UTF-8 encoding?

Thank you in advance.

Regards
Enric