[opencms-dev] advice XML-configuration becomes corrupted when running the update wizard

Christian Steinert christian_steinert at web.de
Thu Feb 2 16:45:56 CET 2012

Dear all

I just wanted to share a solution to a problem I bumped into during an upgrade from opencms 7.5 to opencms 8.0. The problem was that the upgrade wizard somehow corrupted my opencms-search.xml because it wanted to patch an index source entry which wasn't even there. Even after this manual fix xml file was fixed the wizard died at the beginning of the module update phase.

The eventual solution that I found was that i took the xml configuration files from a plain opencms 8 installation. I then looked at a diff between those files and my own old opencms 7.5 configuration and manually took added all entries that I needed to the default opencms 8 configuration files. With the manually fixed config files the update went through without problems.

That said I still want to express big compliments about the updgrade wizards. They really save a lot of time and have made life for me sooo much easier over many releases now. And the level of control over which configuration changes are or aren't made is really helpful.

Kind regards
Christian