[opencms-dev] OpenCMS 8.5.2 in Cluster

Achim Westermann achim.westermann at gmx.de
Wed Jul 31 00:02:05 CEST 2013

Hi jmcl,

no. No comments from me excluding ocee. My current company spent again
and again and again and again and again efforts to circumvent buying
ocee. We set up cronjobs to delete static export files on slave servers
(which costs additional performance), I - as a former OpenCms developer
with some insight on the internals - coded a jsp to flush the caches on
the slave instances. And on a weekly turn someone passes by to let me
request that special jsp to have the cache flushed. And then they tried
to deactivate the OpenCms cache and ran into performance issues. Putting
an external cache in front of a clustered OpenCms will even get you
deeper into the mud.
And then some editor did forget or not know (as they were new to our
company) that an OpenCms cluster slave will not know about changes
witout ocee. Did not contact me and had troubles because changes were
not propagated. And again and again and again and again and again and
again I keep on manually flushing the cache on the slave cluster servers
if some editor knew that we had this "cluster - issue".
Sum up: Those 3500 bucks spent on ocee cluster... we already lost a lot
more of money to circumvent buying that. And we will never achieve a
better solution because Alkacon did work on that for many years and
constantly is fixing bugs concerning ocee cluster. This is not a fanboi
advertisement. It's just my opinion: You will never save money by trying
to implement your own OpenCms cluster. The only thing you will achieve
is to increase your level of maintenance and time to web.
In case you don't know what problems will arise when running OpenCms in
a cluster without ocee feel free to answer.

Achim