[opencms-dev] Wizard-less installation

Arash Kaffamanesh ak at cloudssky.com
Sat Aug 17 22:45:53 CEST 2013

Hi Andrew,

I was working on a similar issue to provide an Apache CloudStack VM
template and an Amazon Machine Image (AMI) or Eucalyptus EMI for OpenCms
multi node Installations with zero configuration. Last year by OpenCms Days
we presented the installation approach on CloudStack and as I was told by
Alkacon, that they are also working to improve and provide an alternate
installation method to the web based installation approach.

One more idea which we had was to get OpenCms for instance into Ubuntu apt
PPA and run:

apt-get install opencms

or

yum install opencms

and call https://servername/system/login

On a single server installation on a physical server or on a VM someone
should expect that Tomcat, MySql and Apache shall get configured
automatically with a self signed certificate. In a network based
installation, where in general the DB resides on a different DB Server, you
should be asked to provide the DB servername and the credentials.

For a multi node installation on a private or public cloud infrastructure,
someone should need only to take a SnapShot from the VM and create a
template and run an instance from it and update the LoadBalancer config
file to point to the new IP of the newly created instance.

And now I guess all this can be provided through a Chef cookbook for a
multi node installation, right?

Thanks,
Arash

--
CloudSites empowered by Metamesh's OpenCms Cloud eXtensions
(OCCX)<http://cloudssky.com/en/cloud_products/cloudsites.html>

*Arash Kaffamanesh**
Clouds Sky GmbH
*