[opencms-dev] 3xOpenCMS sharing one Database, yes or no ?

Jose Ignacio Yarza jiyarza at opensistemas.com
Thu Sep 12 09:34:09 CEST 2013

Thanks for the comments,

@Hernan, the current setup is 1 Apache acting as load balancer on top of 3 Jboss, who share a same database instance. In this setup the Apache server does not handle any static content, everything is served by the JBoss instances.

So changing the role of the Apache server, from balancer to web server, and using one together with each JBoss to serve the exported content sounds good. We will have to decide what to export to begin with.

@Arash, thanks for suggesting a HAProxy as balancer instead of Apache. That rounds the setup. So, it could be something like:

1xVarnish (optional) <- 1xHAProxy <- 3x(Apache<-JBoss)(Tomcat recommended) <- 1xDatabase

How about the shared database instance? Is it safe to use it without OCEE for a site that generates every single page dynamically (at the moment, because it clearly is unnecessary to regenerate every page everytime, since they are constant, though this would be also solved by the varnish cache)? The performance hit could be related to be using specifically Oracle combined with the fact that 3 jboss are accessing the same instance?

@Marc, Hi. In other projects we have used extensively the static export feature in the way you describe. In my experience the weight of each rsync operation depends on the OpenCMS version too (of course, the volume and frequency of publishing matters most, and it seems that case is a big one). But earlier versions used to export everything every time, thus causing that rsync synced all the export folder every time. >From version 7.5 and above (that I know) it has given to me good results, being an incremental relatively weightless syncing. I think this would be optimal in any case in which there is only dynamic page generation through templates (exportable), not based on user input or other “runtime” variables, or also using a cache like varnish, as mentioned above.

Thanks,

Jose