[opencms-dev] OpenCms 9: Questions regarding new features

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Mon Dec 2 14:43:45 CET 2013

Kai,

Regarding your OpenCms 9 questions:

- Improved configuration for content formatters What does it mean? In what
way has the configuration for formatters been improved?
With OpenCms 9 the formatter configuration does not longer need to be in the
XML schema. Instead formatters can be configured in separate files. Have a
look at the formatters of the 9 Bootstrap demo for examples.
Another new feature is that you can configure multiple formatters for the
same container type. If this is done an extra selection for the Formatter
appears in the Element "Settings" dialog.

- Added multi-field annotation expression to EL for better inline edit
support What does it mean and how can it be used? Is there an example
somewhere in the Demo code?
This is for used for bringing up the edit points on the right hand side of
the content in the inline edit mode. We need to draw the red highlight
border if the user places the cursor on the point, and this must be on a
block element that is always available. The "multi-field expression" allows
to use the same block element as highlight are for different optional
sub-elements.
See the "Image row" element and the imagerow.jsp formatter in the Bootstrap
demo as an example.
The syntax look like this: <div ${item.rdfa["Link|Image"]}>

- Added support for inline CSS and JavaScript in formatter configuration
This is very interesting for me since I use inline CSS. How can this be
done?
This is part of the new formatter configuration file. You can past short
JavaScripts directly or refer to a file to be included.

- Added dynamic HTML update during in place editing What does it mean and
how does it differ from OpenCms 8.5?
What it means is that if you e.g. edit an image inline, you first get a
small form in an overlay. As soon as you change the image in that overlay
form, the page behind is automatically updated with the change. So you do
not have to close the overlay form to see the change. Again, see the image
row example from the demo as an example.

Kind Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior