[opencms-dev] CmsJspNavBuilder->getSiteNavigation

Wed Feb 26 14:36:37 CET 2014

Hi Thomas,

when we have a large number of DB requests or large data sets with many
joins we introduce a XML data type (consider this to be like a DB view)
and a singleton to handle the data.
The singleton "knows" when and how to update the data if it subscribes
itself to the OpenCms publishing event queue. Further you can use
concepts like combination and inheritance if the singletons are cleverly
thought out.

The downside is another hit on the heap but the corresponding DB
solution will have this problem as well (@Alex no streaming interface
:-)). The upside is that you can read and manipulate the data with
standard OpenCms mechanics (such as collectors, search, ...) without
having the need to write/use an OR mapper for the custom DB table(s).

Sincerely

\Fabian