[opencms-dev] folders/files starting with dot in 9.0.1 ?

Christoph Kukulies kuku at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Aug 22 09:51:05 CEST 2014

Am 21.08.2014 um 16:18 schrieb Schliemann, Kai:
> Hi Chris,
> have a look at the documentation PDF shipped with OpenCms. It is a great document which explains a lot about the new page structure since OpenCms 8 and gives an overview of usable cms:xx tags for developers (and much more).
> If you prefer to read it in German, I may suggest the translation of the documentation shipped with OpenCms 8.5.1: http://www.comundus.com/export/sites/default/downloads/opencms/OpenCms_8_5_1_Handbuch_v1_2_DEUTSCH.pdf
>
> HTH
> Best regards
> Kai

Hi Kai,

great to know that OpenCMS now comes with a documentation PDF. Indeed I
overlooked it when unpacking. I had expected to find the usual combo
of history.txt  install.html  license.txt :) and went ahead deploying
the .war file.

Although the new features of OpenCMS look fine and appealing, the
document does not answer my question about the files starting with ".".

I'm not sure whether I will use the new features to build a web site.
Looks like the people at Alkacon put much effort into giving OpenCMS
more features of
modern CMS systems to build websites, and for quite a while OpenCMS
seemed to lag a bit behind  what other CMSs were offering (Wordpress,
Contao, Joomla),
OTOH I'm glad to have sticked with OpenCMS all the time, alone looking
at the security leaks that all these PHP based CMSs had to suffer from
during the past.

At present I construct a web site e.g. using YAML, but the CSS into my
frontend modules, and design the JSPs to inject the columns, navigation
etc. into the pages.

But I'm getting carried away.

Let's come back to the question of the meaning of the dot-files. :)