[opencms-dev] OpenCms 9.5.0 documentation

Schliemann, Kai K.Schliemann at comundus.com
Mon Nov 10 11:45:19 CET 2014

Hi Alberto, hi list,
I am totally with you, that the documentation for OpenCms needs to get better, even, when compared to other OS software, it is not that bad.
We talked about that in the partner meeting during the OpenCms Days. We actually didn’t find a final agreement. One recommendation was, to at least place some prominent links to documentation pages like the opencms-wiki.org page.

Concerning the new documentation, there was a session from Daniel Seidel about that, which I unfortunately could participate. But I learned, that it is in HTML format, similar to the documentation modules shipped with OpenCms. I also heard, that this documentation should be placed on GitHub. So if somebody changes or adds something to the documentation, he / she could send a pull request to Alkacon.

So in my opinion, we will have more options for documentation in the future.

1.       Wiki for short howtos and FAQs. Possibly more developer oriented

2.       New documentation on GitHub. Possibly more user oriented

3.       Mailing list for quick answers

Personally I would like to motivate the mailing lists members to contribute to the documentation.
For example, when you found a solution for a problem, you solved with the help of the mailing list, to take a few minutes and add the solution to the opencms-wiki.org.
In this way we could really get a good resource for checking out, whenever we have a problem with OpenCms.

Best regards
Kai