[opencms-dev] OpenCms 9.5.0 documentation

Alberto Gallardo argrico at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 13:28:10 CET 2014

Hi again,

1.       Wiki for short howtos and FAQs. Possibly more developer oriented

As I mentioned, the current wiki is not officially supported. If the
records are accurate, it was made available by Jan Meier with no official
affiliation (at least, not stated in the wiki) with Alkacon (
http://www.opencms-wiki.org/index.php?title=OpenCms_Wiki:About&oldid=1498)
around the 3 November 2006. The wiki states that it currently belongs to
Alkacon Software GmbH, but this doesn't correspond with Alkacon's official
statement at the OpenCms Days 2014, where Dr. Daniel Seidel confirmed that
the wiki isn't opperated by Alkacon, nor maintained, and even suggested
that the Alkacon Team don't participate in the Wiki since a long time (in
fact, the last contribution was on the 6th November 2012:
http://www.opencms-wiki.org/index.php?title=Special%3AContributions&tagFilter=&contribs=user&target=Alkacon&namespace=&year=&month=-1
).

I do like having a wiki, but I don't feel comfortable contributing and
investing time in a page that is not officially supported by Alkacon. I
don't like either how wild the page has grown and I dare to doubt about its
future sustainability and scalability.

>  2.       New documentation on GitHub. Possibly more user oriented

I could attend Daniel's talk, and I liked how much thinking they have
devoted to the documentation. At the same time, it was clear to me that to
maintain through all documentation the high standards that they are aming,
they won't be able to quickly react to any pull-request (it is good so).
That is, the community still needs a lean contribution model to the
documentation.

>  3.       Mailing list for quick answers

Unfortunatelly, I have the impression that there are very few OpenCms
experts within the user community with enough time to contribute in this
list. Alkacon Team doesn't look to have enough resources to push this
option either.

I'm not saying that everything is lost, neither that any of these options
are unacceptable. Just that I wish that Alkacon takes all this into
consideration and comes up soon with a solution for supporting the
community participation (e.g. officially supporting the wiki, or providing
a new community-documentation module with lower standards...).

Just my 2 cents...

Regards,

Alberto Gallardo