[opencms-dev] OpenCms + IntelliJ IDEA

Alberto Gallardo argrico at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 15:53:03 CEST 2017

Hi Kai,

thanks for your answer.

> we use OpenCms with IntelliJ, but we seem to use a different module
> structure since we never ran into problems concerning two identical content
> roots.
> We use our own IntelliJ plugin for syncing the real file system with the
> VFS.

I'm aware of your plugin, but if I get it correctly, it focusses on the
development of OpenCms modules. I guess you won't run into problems as long
as you don't get so far as to try to debug the opencms-core.

I'm often digging into the core, and I'm facing every once and then
problems related to the "IDE-unfriendliness" of the opencms-core build
script (I have already reported  a few IDEA issues: IDEA-176575, 177113,
177138, 177141, 177143, 177144, 177224, 177227 and 177241). With IDEA, this
is aggravated by the mentioned issue (multiple modules defining the same
content root), as many sources are compiled both with javac and the
GWT-compiler, but with different dependencies.

With some effort, I could work-around the problem by creating some symbolic
links and maintaining an IDEA project model parallel to the gradle build
script, but I won't be able to synchronize again with the gradle script.
Another option (though not tested), is to extend the gradle script with the
idea plugin, so that gradle creates an appropriate IDEA project model. None
of this options are attractive, as they are IDEA-specific, violating
development best practices (the build should be IDE agnostic).

To summarize: I cannot get the core imported in gradle without many red
flags and corresponding autocompletion/navigation limitations. Has anyone
tried to debug the opencms-core with intellij IDEA?

Regards,

Alberto