[opencms-dev] Migration's questions

Alex Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Tue Feb 6 21:34:42 CET 2018

Dear Malu,

regarding your questions about OpenCms 11.0 vs 10.5:

> Is there a release date for version 11?

No there is no fixed release date. Currently we are targeting a release of 11.0 in September 18, but this date is not final.

> Would it be convenient a first update/migration to 10.5.x and update later to the 11 one?

Yes. OpenCms 10.5 is still Java 7 and old template support is still there.

> Is there much difference from 10.5.X to 11 ?

11 will be Java 8 only. This should not be a big issue today. 11 will drop out-of-the-box support for old workplace extensions. We are also less concerned about supporting features that have long been outdated (such as XmlPages), even though we are not aggressively dropping support for these.

> On the last OpenCMS days you guys talked about a future version of OpenCMS which would be different from the rest (OpenCMS Next Generation). Regarding this project, is it parallel to version 11? ¿Does it have compatibility with the rest of versions?

OpenCms NG will use 11 as base with a different database (NoSQL / MongoDB). NG will be released after 11, probably not before 2019.

For 11 and NG our main concern is supporting modern requirements for new websites.

7.5 was released in 2009, almost 10 year ago.

I think we have done a good job to keep OpenCms as compatible as possible in the past. We will continue to do so. However, sometimes dropping old stuff is required to move on.

Kind regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior

Alkacon Software - The OpenCms Experts