[opencms-dev] multilingual-menus in opencms 13

Hein van der Kallen hvanderkallen at xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 21 15:42:10 CEST 2022

Filip,

Thank you for your answer.

This is how I understand it now:

The localization for the default English workplace locale is included in opencms.war.

The localizations for 8 supported foreign languages like "de" were before opencms 11 included in optional modules that were all loaded in a default install.

The properties were in (sub)folders like /system/workplace/locales/de/messages/org/opencms/..

in files like messages-de.properties or clientmessages-de.properties

That is the situation described now in

*	 https://documentation.opencms.org/opencms-documentation/localization/multilingual-menus/  (Valid for OpenCms: 13.0)
*	In a default installation, the folders shown in Figure  <https://documentation.opencms.org/opencms-documentation/localization/multilingual-menus/#fig_available_workplace_locales> [available_workplace_locales] are present.

So by default all 8 supported foreign language localizations were activated.

To deactivate a supported foreign language localization you should remove the corresponding module

Since opencms 11 The localizations for 8 supported foreign languages are placed in jar files like org.opencms.locale.de.jar in the lib folder. These 8 jarfiles are all loaded in a new install.

The properties are in (sub)folders like /org/opencms/..

in files like messages-de.properties or clientmessages-de.properties

By default the /system/workplace/locales/ folder and its subfolders are not made.

So by default none of the 8 supported foreign languages are activated.

To activate a supported foreign language like "de" you should add the /system/workplace/locales and /system/workplace/locales/de folder.

Finally

The advice

To put the message bundles you may add in your locale usable, you have to export your locale folder, say pt for Portugese, to {webapp home}/WEB-INF/classes. Therefore, put your localization in a module and set the export point via the module configuration.  <https://opencms.cse.unsw.edu.au/alkacon-documentation/howto_workplace_translation/step1-workplace-translation.html> Here's an old (but still mostly valid) tutorial on how to add the localizations (the wizard mentioned there is not available anymore).

Seems far outdated (from opencms 7) : If Opencms does not place localizations for supported foreign languages in modules any more and surely not in that way, so why should creators for a non-supported language localization do it like that ?

And the link is not working anymore.

It can still be found on http://www.incmnsz.mx/opencms/alkacon-documentation/howto_workplace_translation/

So please correct the documentation.

Regards,