[opencms-dev] opencms install hangs

Paul D. Bain paulbain at pobox.com
Fri Aug 8 19:49:01 CEST 2003

At Friday 8/8/03 07:33 PM, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've got a problem installing opencms 5.0 under debian Stable-Woody/linux.
>I'm using jdk 1.4.2 and tomcat 4.1.27. I have also tried an older ver 4
>tomcat but the same problem persisted. I have successfully setup opencms
>on windows so I basically know what I'm doing. The database (sapdb) is
>setup and I can run though the setup and import all files into it from
>opencms on a windows machine.

         My configuration is similar to yours. I am running Debian Woody
(Libranet 2.0), tomcat 4.0 (installed by debian "apt-get"), JDK 1.4 beta
(installed manually (October 2002), _not_ by using Debian package
management), and MySQL 3.22 (installed by apt-get).

>When I run setup I manage to create the database.
>check_versions.jsp runs and reports "Your system uses components which
>have been tested to work properly with OpenCms".

         I had problems during the installation, but they were different
than the ones that you report and I was able to find a solution by
searching the mail archives. The primary problem that I encountered during
installation was apparently related to the age of the Tomcat version in
Debian stable. OpenCMS 5.0 seems to prefer a newer version of the XML
parser than the one that comes with Tomcat 4.0.

         If I were you, I would probably try using MySQL. If it works, then
you know that the problem is probably related to SAPdb.

         I hope that this information helps a little.

Sincerely,
Paul Bain