[opencms-dev] opencms install hangs

Scott Newham scott at wranglers.com.au
Mon Aug 11 08:57:01 CEST 2003

Thanks for the suggestion Paul but I've found the problem by debugging the
JSP using jdb. Loads of fun (not). After much gnashing of teeth I tracked
the problem down to java.security.SecureRandom hanging. This had caused
CmsUUID.getDummyEthernetAddress() to hang.

Some release notes for jdk1.4.2: "On Unix platforms, the Sun SecureRandom
implementation uses /dev/random to seed itself, if available. This approach
can improve the startup time of cryptographic applications considerably, but
can also cause delays if the kernel entropy pool is empty. "

Seemed to be causing infinite delay for me! I modified
<java.home>/lib/security/java.security and it fixed my problem.

I should get to the bottom of this but in the short term I'm happy that I
can proceed with the setup.