[opencms-dev] Status of OpenCms accessibility

Jonathan Woods jonathan.woods at scintillance.com
Mon May 29 18:57:39 CEST 2006

I add my vote to Alessandro's call, especially re work on accessibility for
content authors.  It's increasingly a deciding factor in CMS package
selection exercises.

Maybe this could be factored into the work which Alexander Kandzior
described on giving the OpenCms back-end an AJAX flavour.  I look forward to
hearing more about that because it concerns both accessibility and general
useability.  I'd love to see an even more powerful XML content editing
framework, and I'd be happy to contribute in this area.  Functionality I'm
thinking would be useful includes (i) a more full-blown approach to defining
schema validity (so XSD for structural definitions supplemented with
something like RelaxNG or a home-grown rules-based approach); (ii) validity
checking at the client without requiring a round trip (with page refresh
problems) just to be told that an element far down the page isn't valid;
(iii) more support in OpenCms for defining and managing standing/reference
data; (iv) richer controls as value editors, e.g. sliders, spinners, ...
Oops!  I'm going off-topic.

Jon

  _____