[opencms-dev] OpenCms 9.5.0 documentation

Alberto Gallardo argrico at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 17:42:10 CET 2014

Hi Kai,

thanks for your comments.

3.       Why should other open source communities have the time to
> contribute and this one not? We should think about it as give and take.
> What I want to say is: I do not have the time either, but I take the time
> because I think it is important…

First of all, I have the impression that communities with better mailing
support are much bigger. Secondly, I'm not saying that my time (or anyone's
time) is too expensive to devote it to answer in the mailing list. On the
contrary, I wish I could answer more questions.

But OpenCms is complex enough to represent a challenge for even some of the
apparently most harmless questions. I'm just stating the fact that many
questions remains open in the mailing lists. I don't feel myself in the
position of explaining why this happens. It could be simply a matter of
community sizes...

> Why should Alkacon come up with a solution?

Because they are the product owners. Anything coming from the community
without direct support from Alkacon is advocate to failure. And because
they already mentioned that they are thinking about how to improve the
situation. (And with the last documentation improvement they have
demonstrated that they are very good at it ;-) )

> We could do that as well. We all belong to the community. I don’t want
> them to do all the work. They already do a lot. They just have to be ready
> to accept ideas and support them as good as they can.

I completely agree, but one thing is contributing with content, and another
very different thing is coming up with a new documentation concept without
previous discussion with Alkacon Team.

Best regards and again congratulations to Alkacon for the big step forward.

Alberto